Surgery is one of the most valuable tools in veterinary medicine. It can correct and even prevent many life-limiting illnesses, helping pets to live longer healthier lives.
Pet Surgery in Winterville, NC 28590
At Winterville Animal Care, our skilled veterinarians perform primarily soft tissue surgeries, and we often use a surgical laser to reduce recovery time and discomfort.
Pet Surgeries We Perform
Our vets perform soft tissue surgeries, but if your pet requires an orthopedic procedure, we will refer you to a specialist.
Surgeries we perform here include:
- Mass/tumor removals
- Foreign body removal
- Spays and neuters
- Basic eye surgeries (cherry eye, enucleation, etc.)
- Abdominal procedures
- Cystotomies (bladder surgery)
- Wound repair
- And more
Making Safety Our Priority
Surgery has become far safer for our pets in the last decade, and innovations continue to make it safer daily. Still, some small inherent risks come with any procedure. Winterville Animal Care takes every precaution necessary to reduce your pet’s risks and help them recover smoothly.
Our safety protocols include the following:
- Assessing your pet’s health before any procedure with pre-anesthetic blood work and an exam
- Placing an IV catheter to supply your pet with fluids throughout the procedure that helps stabilize their blood pressure and keep them hydrated
- Assigning a surgical technician to monitor your pet’s vitals from the start of anesthesia through their recovery
- Using monitoring equipment that tracks your pet’s heart rate and rhythm, blood-oxygen levels, respiration rate, blood pressure, and more
- Administering pain medication before, during, and after surgery to reduce their discomfort and ease their recovery
Benefits of Using a Surgical Laser
Our veterinarians will often use a surgical laser when performing soft tissue procedures. The laser offers a variety of benefits that traditional scalpel surgery cannot. Since the laser cauterizes tissue and blood vessels as it “cuts,” it does the following for your pet:
- Reduces pain and inflammation
- Reduces bleeding
- Decreases the risk of infection
- Decreases bruising, as there is no pressure on the tissue